11/29/2017

KUMAIL NANJIANI ENTHRALLS



Pakistani-American comedian and actor Kumail Nanjian's recently hosted Saturday Night Live in which he delivered a powerful monologue-

Tackling the Islamophobia and racism he has faced over the years.

His film The Big Sick was a big hit this summer. The movie was inspired by the true story of his affair with real-life wife Emily. Nanjiani grew up in Pakistan, was raised as a Muslim, and came to the US at age 18 to attend college.

This is his first time hosting the NBC sketch comedy series.

In his monologue, Nanjiani explained how he was the second person in my family to leave Pakistan.

''I came to America, fell in love with a white woman and made a movie about it,'' he said in his monologue, before detailing the racist reviews he received.

Nanjiani said some of the reviewers disliked the film's ''race-mixing'' as it is a film about interracial relationships.

''First of all, nobody ever uses the phrase ''race-mixing'', he remarked. ''Even if someone was like, 'I'm pro-race mixing', I'd be like 'why are you talking like that?' ''

His monologue also detailed negative Twitter mentions about The Big Sick. ''A lot of people were like, 'Go back to India,' '' he told the audience. ''I've never been to India. Are you just hoping I'll have awesome vacation soon?''

Nanjiani admitted that such remarks bug him.

''My problem with most racism is the inaccuracy,'' he asserted. ''Do the research, put in the work. You will see the benefit.

For example, if a guy tells me 'Go back to India.' that guy is an idiot. But if someone tells me to-

'Go back to Pakistan, which was part of India till 1947 and is now home to the world's oldest salt mine, then I'd pack my bags. An informed racist,'' Nanjiani concluded, ''is a better racist.

The actor also talked of Islamophobia. ''It is on the rise. It's like Will & Grace ,'' Nanjiani joked in reference to the sitcom making a return to SNL's home network.

''It was huge a while ago, we thought it was gone and done forever and now it's back. Thursday Night on NBC. They made me say that.''

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Grace A Comment!