10/17/2017

Federer No Longer "Scared" Of Nadal



Roger Federer says his improved mentality and aggressive backhand has helped him in his recent victories over rival Rafael Nadal.

The 36-year-old Swiss beat Nadal 6-4, 6-3 in Shanghai Masters final, for his fifth consecutive win over the Spaniard, although still trailing 23-15 overall.

Federer explained his change of style to the press in Shanghai:

"I think I'm maybe serving consistently better."

"I get easier power ever since I switched to the bigger racquet. I'm connecting better on the backhand and I'm serving good."

"Before I had to slice more just because the racquet was good for the slice, and it was good for the coming over, but I would always shank too many balls.”

“So I think it was hard for me to consistently just keep on attacking with the backhand.

"Today it seems almost not a problem anymore to do it. Plus I have done it in many other matches other than Rafa. So because I have got used to returning that way, it's also easier to play Rafa."

Federer also pointed his increased confidence level against Nadal.

"I just think I'm not so scarred like maybe I have been in the past, not that I was horribly scarred in any way, but I did lose against him sometimes, a lot of the times especially on the clay courts."

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Grace A Comment!