9/12/2017

'Passion' Drives Nadal to 16th Grand Slam


Rafael Nadal says his revival to top form is down to 'passion' for tennis after winning his 16th Grand Slam at the US Open.

The Spaniard beat Kevin Anderson 6-3 6-3 6-4 at New York’s Arthur Ashe stadium. The world number 1 also clinched La Decima earlier in the year following his victory over Stan Wawrinka at Roland Garros.

"I wake up every morning with the passion to go on court and to try to improve things," he said. "I still want to compete and still feel the nerves every time I go on court.

“When some day arrives that I don’t feel nerves or that extra passion for the game that I feel, will be the day to say, OK, I do another thing.

Nadal is still chasing Roger Federer's record 19 Grand Slam titles who also won two Grand Slams, Australian Open and Wimbledon, this year.

“Of course if I will win two grand slams this year and he will not win, we’ll be closer,” Nadal said. “But one more year and he has 19. I have 16. So three is [still a] big difference. I really don’t think much about these kind of things. I do my way. I’m very happy with all the things that are happening to me, [to] win this title again.”

“Well done for Roger that he is having an amazing season too and well done for me because I’m having a great season too.”

The two of sport's biggest superstars are also expected to go neck to neck for the year end number 1 ranking.

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Grace A Comment!