11/08/2014

Learning the local language made my year abroad unforgettable

When I started a degree in English language and literature, I hadn’t intended to study abroad, let alone start learning German.

But having recently returned from my year abroad in Germany, I can say that making the effort to learn the language really enhanced my Erasmus experience.

With language translation technology advancing all the time, it’s tempting to rely on Google Translate and smartphone apps as an alternative to language learning.

But a second language shouldn’t be an optional luxury. Researchers have discovered that intensive language learning can increase the size of your brain in as little as three months.

Bilingualism is also on the political agenda – the all party parliamentary group on modern languages launched its Manifesto for Languages in July, and is calling on political parties to make school-age language learning a top governmental priority in 2015.

From my own experience, learning the language lets you travel beyond the well-known tourist trails, gain an authentic student experience and expand your social network beyond the international clan.

The process of learning German on my Erasmus year was a stark contrast to my pre-departure language course at university, where bleary-eyed students sat passively and stumbled through oral exercises.

Instead, language learning abroad was dynamic and part of my lifestyle – from chatting with sales assistants to preparing presentations with course mates. It meant being part of the local community.

Visiting language exchange cafés – where international and German students meet up to improve their European language of choice – was a great way to practice in a relaxed space and meet a diverse range of people.

Not being afraid to make mistakes is crucial to learning a language. By abandoning that comfortable phrase “Ich spreche nur ein bisschen Deutsch!” (I speak only a little German), I made progress and it was appreciated by friends and locals alike.

Having a tandem partner helped my conversational German and I learned to avoid common pitfalls such as mistaking “Mir ist heiß” for “Ich bin heiß” . Both phrases mean “I am hot”, but “Ich bin heiß” suggests that you think you’re hot as in sexy!

Aside from avoiding social embarrassment, by getting to know German students I discovered under-the-radar flea markets and student nights, learned how to cook authentic German dishes and gained in-the-know travel buddies.

Germany has a thriving theatre scene and getting to grips with the language meant I was able access more entertainment. Hearing the well-known songs of My Fair Lady sung in German was an amusing experience, and being able to understand the jokes between Eliza and Professor Higgins provided a confidence boost and an insight into German culture.

I enjoyed local street parades during public holidays like Fastnacht, and indulged fully in the coffee and cake culture.

Even when it comes eating out, knowing the language works to your advantage. In more than a few traditional German restaurants, the English menus didn’t contain all the dishes listed on the German menu.

Learning the language has saved me from getting on the wrong train, after last-minute platform changes were announced in German.

It’s also an impressive asset when friends and family come to visit, giving them extra reassurance that you’re able to survive independently.

So why not learn the local language on your Erasmus year abroad? It’ll improve your employability, while letting you take part fully in local life.

(Source: TheGuardian)

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Grace A Comment!