7/01/2014

Lou Vincent: Life ban for self-confessed cheat


Former New Zealand batsman Lou Vincent has been banned from cricket worldwide for life after admitting match fixing.
Shortly before his punishment was announced he said in a statement: "My name is Lou Vincent and I am a cheat.
"I have shamed my country. I have shamed my sport. I have shamed those close to me. For that I am not proud."
The 35-year-old breached 18 counts of the England and Wales Cricket Board's anti-corruption regulations regarding matches in 2008 and 2011.
Vincent, who played 23 Tests and 102 one-day internationals for New Zealand between 2001-2007, appeared in county cricket in England for Sussex, Lancashire, Northamptonshire and Worcestershire.
He was charged by the ECB under their anti-corruption code in May, while in June he was banned by the Bangladesh Cricket Board for three years for failing to report an approach from match fixers.
"I have abused my position as a professional sportsman on a number of occasions by choosing to accept money through fixing," Vincent added.
"I have lived with this dark secret for many years, but just months ago I reached the point where I decided I had to come forward and tell the truth."

- BBC.com

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Grace A Comment!