6/08/2014

French Open: Maria Sharapova proud of 'amazing' clay victory



Maria Sharapova described winning a second French Open title as "amazing" after struggling on clay for many years.

The Russian, 27, beat Romania's Simona Halep 6-4 6-7 (5-7) 6-4 in just over three hours at Roland Garros.

"I didn't grow up on clay; didn't play on it," she said. "I just took it upon myself to make myself better on it.

"There is no one else that was going to do that for me. I had to do the work and I worked to get to this position."

Sharapova won Wimbledon aged 17 and within four years had added the US Open and Australian Open titles, but in her early years she famously described her movement on clay as being "like a cow on ice".

"You can't go out there and just do it without putting in the effort, putting in the work," she added.

"You're not just born being a natural clay court player. OK, maybe if you're Rafael Nadal, but certainly not me.

"It's really amazing. There is no substitute to these titles."

- Read More

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Grace A Comment!