4/22/2014

Should sixth-form students do an extended project qualification?

I'm in year 13 and I recently completed and submitted my extended project qualification (EPQ). I studied conspiracy theories about the moon landings and gained skills like time management and critical thinking. But I'm not convinced that an EPQ was the best use of my time.

The EPQ is a self-motivated project that carries the same Ucas points as an AS level, and is increasingly popular with students – over 30,000 did it in 2013. There are several types of EPQ: you can write a research-based report, put on an event like a fashion show or charity fundraiser, or make something – like a piece of art or a game.

Your school can register you to do an EPQ in the same way that they register you to sit A-level exams. Getting an EPQ is a long process and involves support from a supervisor, who is normally a teacher at your school.

It requires self discipline and independent research on a topic of your own choice, so is seen as a good option for people who want to stand out and get into a good university.

I mentioned my EPQ on my personal statement, and it helped me get an offer from my top choice university – University College London. But I still think my time could have been spent more productively elsewhere. Doing an EPQ wasn't what I thought it would be.

Josh Heath, who has also done an EPQ, says: "For the most part it was a waste of time."

The EPQ process involves several skills lessons, where you learn different ways to carry out research, record findings, and how to move to the next stage of the project.

Heath says: "Basically, you just get handed booklets to read and have to complete quite simple tasks. I didn't gain much that I couldn't have found from the internet, or from my supervisor."

As part of the EPQ you have to complete a 15-page log, where you evaluate your progress and write down notes from your supervisor.

"Discussing with my supervisor what went well, what went wrong, how I overcame the problems, and then repeating that information in the log felt quite pointless," says Ben Pitfield, who made a model aeroplane for his EPQ.

Much of his project was spent designing and researching the right materials – and watching as the costs mounted up.

He says: "I didn't imagine it being so expensive, and the school couldn't offer me much compensation."

Not everyone has to dip into their wallets for the EPQ – all I had to pay for was a couple of books – but sacrifices do have to be made. The roughly 150 hours that I devoted to the project could have been better spent. There were other initiatives, such as the Enterprise Challenge and the opportunity to be a prefect, that I missed out on.

The EPQ alone doesn't magically boost your university application. I know several people who ignored it and got into Oxbridge. It shows a passion for your chosen subject, but there are other ways to show this.

If you're applying for a history course you can volunteer in a museum, for example. It might take up less time than an EPQ, be just as relevant, and leave you more opportunities to focus on your A-levels.

If you have something you've always wanted to make, or a topic that interests you outside of school, then the EPQ can be perfect.

I know someone who went to Iran for three weeks to investigate care homes and attitudes towards the elderly in comparison to those in the UK for his EPQ. In the process, he was able to visit his relatives and learn more about his heritage. For another person, who wrote a 30,000 word novel in the style of Tolkein, the EPQ gave him Ucas points for something he'd already started.

My mistake was to do the EPQ because I couldn't think of a better way of impressing universities. I didn't search around for alternatives, or foresee exactly what it would involve or how much time it would take up.

I would only recommend it to students who already have something they want to pursue – something which is worth dedicating that much time to.

(by Source: TheGuardian)

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Grace A Comment!