4/11/2014

Duck Dynasty's Lisa Robertson Writes About Childhood Molestation in The Women of Duck Commander

Duck Dynasty star Lisa Robertson is sharing a painful memory from her past.

She writes about the abuse she suffered as a child in The Women of Duck Commander: Surprising Insights from the Women Behind the Beards About What Makes This Family Work. Kay Robertson, Korie Robertson, Missy Robertson and Jessica Robertson also contribute to the just-released book.

"As a little girl, I had an extended family member who had major drug and alcohol problems. Unfortunately, that person lived with my grandparents, so I had to see him often. Because I spent so much time at my grandparents' house, I was easy prey for him," writes Lisa, who is married to Alan Robertson and joined the reality show in its fourth season. "My earliest memory of being molested was at the age of 7 when he started to do things to me, things that made me feel bad and dirty."

The abuse continued until she was a teenager. She threatened to tell her father, whom she believed would kill her abuser. Lisa never told her parents what happened until she had children of her own.

According to Lisa, the experience made her think that her "purpose in life was to please men." For that reason, she explains, she became unfaithful to her husband. Religion, she writes, was her saving grace.


Lisa realized that "what happened to me happens to many, many people" and wanted to prove to readers through her own example that recovery is indeed possible. "I want all abuse survivors to know they have hope," she writes. "They can have hope for complete healing, hope for great relationships, and hope for a wonderful life, free from the lingering effects of the trauma they have suffered."

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Grace A Comment!